22 June 2010

What's around the corner?

For years the thought of running a marathon was a pipe dream.  Though dream seems ridiculously strong of a word.  It was more of a thought for someone else to do. But in 2006 I did Grandma's Marathon, even though I had pneumonia (not diagnosed until the day AFTER the race) and was dehydrated for 6 of the miles (thanks Jim, Wendy and Gini for staying with me to "get me through"), I finished.  I'm not sure exactly if the motivation was to prove it to myself or to prove it to others that I could do it. 

After years of hibernation of the marathon training I did it again and finished the 2009 Nike Women's Marathon last October. I wasn't fully prepared for the course and had some ankle issues and blisters that were killer,but I can say no DNF for me.  I thought I was content when I crossed the finish line and received my sweet Tiffany's finishers medal







and then it hit me.... I'm not done.  I'm currently training for 2010 Twin Cities Marathon.   

But before that will happen I will need to make it through the 193 mile Ragnar Relay Great River run in August.  Wow - what did I sign myself up for?  I don't know if I've just got such an addictive personality that when I find something that brings me joy I cannot get enough, or if I'm looking for something.  I'm always looking for something.  Growing up I used to think there was someone missing at family events.  I'd count.  Mom, Dad, Michael, Kati, Colleen, Molly, the dogs... nope we're all here.  I've always loved photos that depict looking out or up.  Something's just around the corner or in the distance.  Something about setting your sites on the unknown and looking for it fascinates me.  193 miles with 11 teammates ...  I'm excited to meet new people, to experience something many people will never experience, and to look down the road for something. 

I'm sure I'll find it sometime during the race... and then I'll go home and look for something new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say, "Go Anne!" Look forward to what i am sure will be a humorous account of your race preparations and life in between.

Jenni

Unknown said...

Wow! I need schooling on this. 193miles & you're 1 of 12 or 11 runners? So that's like 16 or 17 miles for you? You're an artist, Anne. You're looking, seeing... it's extremely inspirational. You are doing what you love and it's loving you right back. Right the F on! Go!